Search for the next Provost and Vice-Principal Academic
Meetings of the search advisory committee are underway to review candidates. Interviews will take place in spring 2018.
The position was advertised to potential candidates on the following venues: Times Higher Ed., Academica, Chronicle of Higher Ed., Inside Higher Ed., University Affairs and the Boyden website.
In September 2017 it was announced that, after serving as a highly respected leader at UBC Okanagan since the campus opened in 2005, Dr. Cynthia Mathieson would not seek reappointment as Provost and Vice-Principal Academic when her term ends in June 2018.
Under the joint UBC Okanagan Senate and UBC Board Policy 18, governing the appointment of designated senior academic administrators, an advisory committee has been formed to provide recommendations to UBC’s Board of Governors for the appointment of UBC Okanagan’s next Provost and Vice-Principal Academic.
Formation of Search Committee: January – March 2018
Progress Report: March 2018
Candidate Report: April 2018
Long List and Short List Interviews: May 2018
Membership of the search advisory committee is as follows:
- Deborah Buszard, Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Principal – Chair
- Peter Arthur, Senior Instructor, Faculty of Education – Senate nominee
- Heather Berringer, Chief Librarian – President’s nominee
- Blye Frank, Professor and Dean, Faculty of Education (Vancouver) – Vancouver Provost’s representative
- Mina Hoorfar, Professor and Director, School of Engineering – Senate nominee
- Jennifer Jakobi, Associate Professor, Faculty of Health and Social Development – Senate nominee
- Marianne Legault, Associate Professor and Associate Dean, Faculty of Creative and Critical Studies – Senate nominee
- Yves Lucet, Professor, Irving K. Barber School of Arts and Sciences – Senate nominee
- Stephanie McKeown, Director, Planning and Institutional Research – President’s nominee
- Nicole Michalewicz – Undergraduate student (elected)
- Stephen O’Leary, Professor, School of Engineering – Senate nominee (elected)
- Barbara Rutherford, Associate Professor, Irving K. Barber School of Arts and Sciences – Senate nominee (elected)
- Bryce Traister, Professor and Dean, Faculty of Creative and Critical Studies – President’s nominee
- Brent Cameron – Boyden Search Consultant
- vacant – Graduate student
Position executive brief
Boyden Canada has been retained to assist with the search for the next Provost and Vice-Principal Academic. An executive brief for the position is available on the Boyden website: