Search for the next Provost and Vice-Principal Academic
Dr. Ananya Mukherjee-Reed has been appointed Provost and Vice-Principal Academic at UBC’s Okanagan campus. Her five year term will begin on November 1, 2018. See her appointment notice here.
Dr. Patricia Lasserre will continue to serve as interim Provost and Vice-Principal Academic until Dr. Mukherjee-Reed’s term begins.
In September 2017 it was announced that, after serving as a highly respected leader at UBC Okanagan since the campus opened in 2005, Dr. Cynthia Mathieson would not seek reappointment as Provost and Vice-Principal Academic when her term ends in June 2018.
Under the joint UBC Okanagan Senate and UBC Board Policy 18, governing the appointment of designated senior academic administrators, an advisory committee was formed to provide recommendations to UBC’s Board of Governors for the appointment of UBC Okanagan’s next Provost and Vice-Principal Academic.
The position was advertised to potential candidates on the following venues: Times Higher Ed., Academica, Chronicle of Higher Ed., Inside Higher Ed., University Affairs and the Boyden website.
Dr. Patricia Lasserre was appointed interim Provost and Vice-Principal Academic on July 1, 2018, pending the successful candidate taking up their duties.
Formation of Search Committee: January – March 2018
Progress Report: March 2018
Candidate Report: April 2018
Long List and Short List Interviews: May 2018
Thank you to the membership of the search advisory committee:
- Deborah Buszard, Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Principal – Chair
- Peter Arthur, Senior Instructor, Faculty of Education – Senate nominee
- Heather Berringer, Chief Librarian – President’s nominee
- Blye Frank, Professor and Dean, Faculty of Education (Vancouver) – Vancouver Provost’s representative
- Mina Hoorfar, Professor and Director, School of Engineering – Senate nominee
- Jennifer Jakobi, Associate Professor, Faculty of Health and Social Development – Senate nominee
- Marianne Legault, Associate Professor and Associate Dean, Faculty of Creative and Critical Studies – Senate nominee
- Yves Lucet, Professor, Irving K. Barber School of Arts and Sciences – Senate nominee
- Stephanie McKeown, Director, Planning and Institutional Research – President’s nominee
- Nicole Michalewicz – Undergraduate student (elected)
- Stephen O’Leary, Professor, School of Engineering – Senate nominee (elected)
- Barbara Rutherford, Associate Professor, Irving K. Barber School of Arts and Sciences – Senate nominee (elected)
- Bryce Traister, Professor and Dean, Faculty of Creative and Critical Studies – President’s nominee
- Brent Cameron – Boyden Search Consultant
- vacant – Graduate student